Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bulletin boards and sticky notes



This week, I tested out a few different new web tools. Wallwisher is a neat tool that allows the user to create a bulletin board to put sticky notes on. It can be interactive, so though mine was done entirely by me, I see it being used in the classroom to encourage interaction between students. I found wallwisher easy to use, and could add an image, video, or link to each of the sticky notes posted.

I had been using diigo for several weeks, but only for bookmarking websites. I had been unable to install the tool bar since I was using a district owned laptop that blocks all installations. However, this week I discovered Diigolet, which works almost the same as the full blown diigo tool bar- and I was able to add it to my favorites in the "favorites bar" folder, so now I have a Diigolet icon to use when needed. This is great because I can highlight and leave sticky notes on online text that I read, and my notes will be there when I come back to it. I also can add new bookmarks to my Diigo library, even when I am searching at work, and will be able to find them at home. How efficient!

The last tool I worked with this week was the create a graph tool.
This tool was very easy to use, and allowed me to change my graph from a bar graph to line graph and back again with out having to re-enter my data. I can see this being used to help students understand which graphs are used to represent the relationships between the numbers, and also as an option when creating a graph as part of a lab activity.

3 comments:

  1. Your wallwisher gave me a great idea for another way to use it in class. I like your idea of using it for any final questions, but I also thought it could be great to use as a spot for students to review. If I can figure out how to embed it on my website then students could just go to the unit page post questions and answers together. (I suppose I could use chatzy but this seems like it might be more fun and easier to follow). Thanks for posting your wallwisher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not run across wallwisher until your post. It still amazes me how many neat tools there are out there! I like to idea of the any final questions, and sstatemas idea of reviewing. I bet that it is easy to embed in your website. Thanks for posting your example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had experimented last week with the graphing tools and found them to be easy to use for me the novice at webtools. :) I haven't tried wallwisher, I may have to try it next week and see how it works. Your work is really engaging. It took a while to upload, but when it appeared...wow! Cyn

    ReplyDelete